Nestled in the Southwest corner of Missouri amidst the beautiful Ozarks foothills, Jasper County is home to nearly 125,000 people, most of them living in Joplin, Carthage, and Webb City.
With all of the amenities you’d expect in big bustling cities while maintaining the small-town feel that attracts families and retirees, Jasper County is the ideal spot to call home. As a bonus, large metros like Kansas City, Tulsa and Fayetteville are all less than three hours away, making day trip drives a joy.
About Jasper County
From snowy winters to blossoming springtime, like much of the Midwest, living in Jasper County promises the best of all four seasons. It averages 10 inches of snow per year and 212 sunny days. Its temperate climate ranks Jasper County as one of the most pleasant places to live in Missouri.
There are ample educational opportunities from numerous award-winning public and private schools and nearby colleges like Crowder College and Missouri Southern State University. The Jasper County area also provides job opportunities in a variety of fields, from health to manufacturing.
You can read even more about the vibrant county on their official website.
Things to Do in Jasper County
Jasper County has numerous natural and historical landmarks, in addition to more recent additions offering plenty of entertainment.
- Grand Falls – Widely known as the largest continually flowing natural waterfall in Missouri, Grand Falls offers beautiful sight-seeing and nearby fishing and swimming spots.
You can find Grand Falls on Riverside Drive in Joplin.
- Battle of Carthage State Historic Site - Commemorating a battle dating all the way back to the Civil War, the Battle of Carthage State Historic Site has since been turned into a peaceful park with a walking trail.
You can find this historic site on Chestnut Street in Carthage.
- 66 Drive-In Theater – Craving some wholesome nostalgia? Jasper County has its own drive-in movie theater, complete with a concession stand.
This theater is located on Old 66 Boulevard in Carthage
- Local Color Art Gallery – If you’re looking for a good indoor activity, this local art gallery has you covered. They have paintings, pottery, jewelry, and even offer weekly art classes.
Local Color can be found in the Gryphon Building on Main Street in Joplin.
- Jasper County Courthouse – This courthouse was built in the 1800s and is passable as a small castle from the outside. Complete with a mural and an antique elevator, this isn’t your ordinary courthouse building.
This historic courthouse can be found on Grant Street in Carthage.
Jasper County Housing Market
The median price for a house purchase in Jasper County is $170,000, compared to a $388,000 median price nationally. This cost savings makes relocating to Jasper County ideal for anyone looking to downsize with added luxury or upsize with a far more appealing cost per square foot.
According to this Best Places report, Jasper County’s cost of living is also lower than the national average in all areas measured except health and utilities, which still rank close.
OMB has a highly experienced mortgage team here to answer any questions and begin the home mortgage process. If you’re ready to move forward on settling down in Jasper County, Missouri, you can reach out to me directly at email@example.com or visit my personal page to contact me.
If you’re a first-time homebuyer that looking for tips on the process, be sure to check out our piece on avoiding these five mistakes.
Photo Courtesy of Madison Foster
OMB and its affiliates do not provide legal, tax or accounting advice. You should consult your legal and/or tax advisors before making any financial decision.
MONEY TIPSMore articles
5 Myths About Home Mortgages Busted
Discover the reality behind five of the most common home mortgage myths. As a seasoned mortgage loan officer, I debunk five misconceptions that often hold potential homebuyers back.
Consider These 3 Factors When Buying Your First Home
Take some of the guesswork out of buying your first home by considering these three important factors.